Sunday, April 27, 2014

Vitamix Creamy Vegetable Soup

Yumminess in the Vitamix today!  Hubs is away for his annual fishing weekend so I can cook/not cook as I see fit.  Since I've been home wasting time nursing a spasming back not cooking seemed a better option.  However, something warm and comforting for my tummy was also a concern.  Last night before turning in I raided the fridge for veggies, sliced, diced and set the crock pot on 'keep warm'.  Why not low?  My crock pot is a typical modern one and cooks way too hot!

I will freely admit to finding this nameless soup image on the internet and if the author is upset, I will of course take it down but it is representative of just how my own soup looked.  No real recipe per se but it is worth sharing and saving so I can make it again.  And being a non-recipe of course it can be adjusted to whatever suits your taste.  In the end, it is a bit too heavy in celery flavour but that's ok.

Into the crock pot:
4 celery sticks, chopped in 1" pieces
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 very large red bell pepper, cleaned out and cubed
3 baking potatoes just beginning to sprout and heavily peeled then diced
1 lemon, quartered  (I really wanted the vitamin c in the broth as well a a zest and then took the lemon pieces out half way through cooking so it wouldn't be too much)

I covered the veggies with water and simmered from bedtime yesterday till breakfast today, then turned the crock to low.  This afternoon I added one cilantro broth cube and one chicken broth cube, 1/2 cup marsala and about 1 cup of fat-free half and half.  This went into the Vitamix in batches then I returned it to the crockpot when all was smooth.  It needed seasoning so it got basil, salt, pepper and about 1/3 cup parmesan cheese.

Yumm!   Tomorrow I may add some protein to it to make it heartier but really just like it light the way it is.

No comments: