Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pumpking Pie Latte Syrup--reduced sugar

This is a cut-and-paste of one of my posts over at the recipe forum on SPFH to make it easier to share with friends and family.  Sorry, I haven't entered this one into my sparkrecipes.com database to know a calorie and nutrient workup on it.  

For those of us who have to control our sugar intake but still want a pumpkin pie latte (WHEN is Starbuck's going to create one for us?) here is another alternative to the many recipes out there on the internet. I made this up from parts of other recipes so I could have a mostly sugar free drink base. It isn't as thick as the real thing but even made up with my own thin almond milk it still makes for a pretty creamy mouth feel. And my house smells ah-mazing!

Pumpkin Pie Latte Syrup--reduced sugar

1 cup pumpkin puree
3 cups water
2 cups sucralose powder for baking (the fluffy Splenda)
1/2 cup organic blue agave syrup
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tablespoon Saigon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, reserved

Whisk all ingredients except vanilla together in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until mixture has reduced by at least 1/3 begins to sheet when poured from a spoon. This took me about 25 minutes. Remove pan from heat and cool slightly then add the vanilla. If the texture of the spices is objectionable you could filter through a fine sieve. Store the syrup in a non-reactive container in the fridge. 

For my latte I used 1/2 cup double-strength coffee, 1 1/2 cups thin almond milk and half a cup of syrup. (I like things sweet! lol) This would also be tasty added to tea or to top a bowl of hot oatmeal but is really too sweet on its own for just straight eating.

Edit:  this is sooooo delicious in homemade soy milk.  OHMYGOSH!  It is like a liquid pumpkin pie party in my mouth.   Hope I can get the link to the milk directions to work right:  http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/2012/02/homemade-soy-milk.html

1 comment:

Love, Live and Garden! said...

What a fun recipe! It is so unique!