Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cranberry Banana Muffins

Like 90% or more of the internet-using female population, I find a lot of inspiration on Pinterest lately.  This recipe came about from a pin for Cranberry Banana Bread http://www.food.com/recipe/cranberry-banana-bread-16211that sounded like a good candidate for substitutions, based on the reviewers comments.  After a day spent working very hard in the yard and maybe expecting some company of the Gluten Free Persuasion (Elizabeth and Eric, cross fingers) I thought it would be a good time for a nice treat.  Since more yardwork is coming today it is now or never.  While these bake I am getting the recipe saved here and can maybe come back with a photo if they turn out pretty.  (And if I get around to it! Ha!)  Oops, I forgot to set the timer.  Uh...  We'll see.


Cranberry Banana Muffins

1 cup stevia-for-baking sugar substitute
1/2 cup peanut oil (or applesauce or other fat)
1 cup mashed bananas (needed 2 bananas)
1/4 cup milk (I used soy coffee creamer for richness)
2 eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute
2 cups gluten-free flour mix
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon Saigon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
2 tablespoons chia seeds, dry
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups craisins (original recipe called for them to be chopped but I left them whole)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Prepare 2 muffin tins with paper liners sprayed with a little nonstick cooking spray in each.  This batch ended up making 19 muffins.

Mix bananas with eggs, add oil and the rest of the ingredients one at a time.  Stir lightly after each addition and try not to overbeat the batter.  Using an ice-cream scoop I filled each muffin cup evenly and baked 15 minutes.

Edit:  YUMMMMM!  Nice and crispy on the outside, moist and chewy on the inside and hopefully the chia seed addition will give it extra 'staying power'.  I'll make these again for sure but might go back to my splenda-for-baking since personally, the stevia leaves an aftertaste I'm not thrilled about.   Still...there was good body to this and knowing it is healthier than the sucralose is a big selling point for a lot of folks.  I bet my guys won't touch these so the batch will probably end up getting frozen and lovingly doled out for my breakfasts and snacks at work.

2nd Edit:  These were great the first day and the 2nd day they were hard-as-a-rock dry!  Maybe the chia seeds sucked up all the moisture?  I don't know but I did try to eat them as-is and finally gave up on that idea.  The rest of the batch got cubed and baked into a fat-free/dairy free/sugar free bread pudding.  It fed me for more than a week's worth of breakfasts and was very good.  But next time I make this...I will either leave out the chia seeds or hydrate them before adding them.  lol

2 comments:

~ Liz ~ said...

Hi Molly, I've been reading back through your posts and enjoyed getting a look into your life and hearing about your family and what you have been up to. I'm so glad you came by Quirky Vistas! That's how I found you. Thank you so very much for the great encouragement. You are right about a spray handle, it sure would help! Thanks for taking the time to say hello. I look forward to seeing what you are up to in the future!
Liz

De tout, de rien said...

Hi Molly,
Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting. You will have to post your project once you are done!